Morro de São Paulo is a beautiful tropical paradise located on the island of Tinharé, municipality of Cairu, in the region known as Costa do Dendê.
The locality contains many stories from the first moments of the discovery of Brazil, visited by Martim Afonso de Souza in 1531, when it was inhabited only by the Aimorés Indians, until the struggles for independence, when Admiral Lord Thomas Cochrane set up his base in island.
Officially the town was founded in 1535, belonging, at the time, to the captaincy of Ilheus.
Often the Dutch attempted to invade the island, just as corsairs also launched anchors in their inlets, generating many stories, years later, of hidden treasures.
Faced with so many unwanted visits, the construction of a fort that underwent so many changes began, which took more than a century to complete.
Only around 1746 was the Fonte Grande built to supply treated water to the population.
From 1950 the island began to be occupied by vacationers, mostly from Salvador.
In 1992, after ECO 92 in Rio de Janeiro, the islands of Tinharé and Boipeba were transformed, by decree, into an Environmental Protection Area.
With the development of tourism and ease of access, Morro de São Paulo has been rediscovered throughout the world, becoming one of the most visited places in the state of Bahia.